[lug] DSL OR CABLE MODEM

Fred Robinson fred.robinson at sipfusion.com
Mon Jun 17 22:14:51 MDT 2002

James,
Yes, Cable is still a shared connection, like a hub, but the collision
domain and caching scheme have improved in the past few years so the
effective rate is pretty reliable.  Additionally, the cable operators watch
oversubscription very carefully so there aren't disproportionate numbers of
users per node.

One option I haven't heard yet is Satellite for broadband.  I live in the
mountains and have no other option except for Satellite.  I use DirecWAY
(formerly DirecPC)
www.direcway.com
It's a two-way, always on service.  There is a charge for more than xxGB's a
month (don't recall the limit), but I was told by my installer not to worry
about it for the time being as they don't have the means to meter it yet.
However, they can tell when you are constantly transmitting and receiving
and this will draw their attention and they will assume that you are running
a LAN with multiple users and advise you that you must upgrade your service
to a business class service for $150 a month versus the standard home user
subscription of $59 a month.

Transmit and receive rates are fairly good, as high as 500K download and up
to 125K upload.  However, the effective rate seems more like 100K, and
upload at 50K, steady stream, but satellite isn't steady, it's bursty.  The
network roundtrip delay is approx. 50ms (or half a second), so content comes
in blasts and pauses.  Streaming video works better than a modem but not as
good as DSL or Cable, and I frequently use Yahoo IM's voice feature to talk
to people without any problem.

The downside:
	- The cost of the equipment, approx. $600 for the two-way dish LNB/antenae.
It comes with two external USB modems, one for transmit and one for receive.
	- You can't get a public/static IP address, and you can't make VPN
connections via IPSEC due to the 50ms latency
	- There aren't any drivers that I'm aware for LINUX, therefore you have to
have a Windows PC setup as a LAN server to manage the connection and connect
your LINUX machine to the LAN

You can order the equipment and installation through most Satellite
installers in the phone book.  You can't buy direct from DiricWAY and Best
Buy and others don't sell it.

Fred Robinson
Operator, SIPFusion

558 Copperdale Ln.