[lug] Backup media and programs opinions?

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Wed Jun 26 06:16:12 MDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Crawford Rainwater wrote:

> I am researching different forms of backup methods, both media and
> utilities (e.g., Amanda for one) out there for Linux.  I am looking
> for some $0.02 from others, more practical oriented if possible. For
> reference, this will be used for backing up 20GB to 40GB drives at
> this time.  DATs and DLTs come to mind.  SCSI interface most likely
> too for those who are curious.

	I would recommend looking in the VXA line of drives. They were
originally made by Ecrix, but have since been absorbed back into
Exabyte. I use them at home and work, and they are excellent drives, very
reliable. The largest tape holds 33GB native, though the media is a little
expensive.
	Recently though, they released a new drive, a VXA-2 (not real
sure on the name) that stores up to 80GB native and apparently the media
is much cheaper.
	Anyway, my two cents.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |