[lug] shm filesystem and RH/KRUD 7.3

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Tue Jul 16 00:23:58 MDT 2002

DS> none  /dev/shm  tmpfs  defaults  0 0

DS> Can anyone tell me anything about this, or advise for/against
DS> removing the fstab entry?

See Documentation/Configure.help:

  You should mount the file system somewhere to be able to use
  POSIX shared memory. Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should
  take care of things:

  tmpfs         /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults        0 0

  Remember to create the directory that you intend to mount tmpfs on
  if necessary (/dev/shm is automagically created if you use devfs).

It further directs you to Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt

(All under linux source tree, probably a part of the kernel-docs rpm).

t.