[lug] Samba 2.2.3a-6 on Redhat 7.3

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Wed Nov 6 08:53:58 MST 2002

It's not easy, always.  I have had problems connecting Linux to XP,
but I just "click around" until it works.  Once I get it to work, I
forget what I did.  It's like I have Microsnesia (not Micronesia which
is a much nicer place ;-) or something.

Here are some things I try:

* Make sure you don't have the XP firewall blocking Samba.
* Make sure the Linux box doesn't have a firewall blocking Samba.
* Make sure two boxes can talk via ping, ssh ("PuTTY" on XP).
* Are all host names resolved.
* Try Public shares (still need a guest account, I think on XP).

Probably more.  It's a pain, but once it works, it's great.  My
customers who have Linux Samba shares have *never* had a problem with
the Linux side. :-)

Rob