[lug] Qwest's Actiontec 1520 and Linux Success?

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Thu Jan 2 14:27:14 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 14:08, Frank Whiteley wrote:
> 1.  A caution.  Does your friend actually own the Actiontec 1520?

Hmm.  Good question that.  I'm currently also considering if I should
just rent one.  It may just be cheaper

> 2.  In PPPoA mode you can configure it through the web interface.  In
> bridged mode, you have to use the command line interface.  The buddy wizard
> only runs on Windoze.

Well, I'd do dual Windows/Linux for my gaming and Office needs (Gnumeric
isn't quite there yet).  And, since my ISP runs bridged, it'd probably
be a better idea.

> 3.  The Actiontec 1520 is an Internet gateway device and lacks some advanced
> routing features.  It is not a Cisco.  I don't believe it has VIP port
> capacity, so it's limited to one subnet.  Not a problem, just a less
> sophisticated device.

Well, I have one computer that'll never serve anything and maybe an XBox
to hook up to it.  Sophistication would probably just be lost on my
"setup".

> Frank Whiteley
> Greeley

Thank you for your reply,
Matt Thompson
--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good