(OT) Netflix (WAS Re: [lug] Revoution OS movie tonight at CU)

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Fri Feb 14 16:47:20 MST 2003

On Friday, 14 February 2003 at 11:33:51 -0500, Joseph McDonald <joem at uu.net> wrote:

> How is Netfilx? I'm so annoyed with Blockbuster that I've been
> considering going with Netflix. Can you let us know how you like
> it?

I like it for the following reasons, ranked in decending order of
importance:

#1  A very good selection of a _broad_range_ of movies.  As opposed
    to Blockbuster's walls full of 50 copies of this month's NEW RELEASE
    from Hollywood.

#2  No Late Fee.  I pay $20 a month to have up to three movies at a
    time.  I watch them at my leisure and return them via the postage
    paid envelope.

#3  Convenience.  I hear about a movie I would like to see, jump on the
    NetFlix website, add it to my queue, then forget about it.  Then one
    day..."POOF", it shows up in the mail.  I watch it, drop it back
    into the postage paid envelope.  Two or three days later my next
    selection arrives in the mail.

#4  This is really just lagniappe, but I like it.  Netflix has an online
    rating system.  You rate movies you have seen. Based on that, they
    recommend other movies you would like.  It is a pretty decent system,
    certainly better (for me, anyway) than basing your choice on box
    office sales, or Blockbusters rentals, etc...  I've stumbled across
    several good movies this way that I otherwise probably would never
    have picked.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy