[lug] proc or other master/slave IDE indicator?

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Wed Feb 19 20:15:52 MST 2003

DS> Can anyone tell me if there is a way from /proc/ (I browsed
DS> /proc/ide/) or something else to tell me if a particular drive is
DS> on master, slave, or cable select on the IDE?

If you know the model of your HD, and it's unique on that machine, you
can figure it out by looking through /proc/ide/hd?/model.  Or, if it's
mounted, you could just see what /dev/hd? it is on; "df" should do it,
or "mount"

On my machine:

| $ for i in /proc/ide/hd?/model ; do echo $i: ; cat $i ; done
| /proc/ide/hda/model:
| WDC WD200EB-00CSF0
| /proc/ide/hdd/model:
| OEM CD-ROM F563E

You probably won't be able to determine if it's cable select or not,
but if you set the CD-ROM to be the other one from what's detected,
you should be ok.  (Unless you're particularly unlucky, with the IDE
drive set to "cable select", and it plays master on one machine, and
slave on another.  Kinky little bugger.)

t.