[lug] OT Programming

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Fri Feb 21 18:26:19 MST 2003

jd wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 14:04, jd wrote:
>
> >>That's a can of worms to open for a topic...
> >>
> >>Opinion: You can build nothing secure if you use VBasic.
> >>

>  Dan,
>   Could you tell me a little more about why this is?

Just look up a google search for words "COM" (component object model),
VB (in whatever ways you can think of to spell it), "security",
"registry"...well, much of this is actually windows and not just VB, but
VB tends to expose these things in ways that I would hate to even think
about. With C++ you at least have a more direct control. I probably
should not have even mentioned it, but I shudder to think about
web-exposed VB apps or apps that integrate VB functionality (indirectly
exposing to VB). For something like C++, you still have to avoid things
like unchecked strings (such as sprintf versus snprintf), but VB tends
to remove some of these from your control.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com