[lug] Suggested Colo's in Boulder, managed hosting?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Mar 3 15:33:16 MST 2003

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 08:02:47AM -0800, Eric Peers wrote:
>Thanks for the info Bear. I am curious why you said
>that Full Hosting/Managed Hosting is superior to

tummy.com offers only managed hosting for a number of reasons, but there
are a few that are particularly relavent to this discussion...  In
particular, we found that we could offer much better service.  We always
keep a spare machine around that is tested and burned in, so if any
existing managed machine fails we can immediately get it back up and
running.  With colocation, where we don't own the box, we can't really
do that.

It also lets us control a little better the quality of hardware that is
used.  Using good hardware leads to quite respectable availability -- as
you can see with the BLUG site (which is hosted on a managed server
tummy.com has donated to the local community).

We've also run into a lot of clients that just really don't maintain
their machines very well.  It's understandable -- unless your business
is doing Linux system administration, you probably want to concentrate
on your business.  Our managed hosting offering includes our managing
updates, so you don't have to do anything and the sendmail exploit (for
example) is automatically fixed for you...

>basically because managing DNS and other services is a
>pain. Is this why you recommend against full

There is that as well...  If you're managing DNS, do you have an
agreement to get secondary DNS service from a site that is
geographically and network-wise diverse?

Unfortunately, our service doesn't qualify for your requirements because
we're in Fort Collins, and our dedicated offering is $150/month.

I will however mention that we're starting to offer a new service which
I'm quite happy with...  It's kind of the best of both the dedicated and
shared hosting options.  It uses a virtual machine to give you something
that's virtually identical to a dedicated machine, but at prices
starting at $25/month.  That includes console access, root login,
ability to do "Ctl-Alt-Del" or poke the VM reset button, etc...  It's
pretty slick and very attractively priced.

Sean
--
 A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are for.
                 -- Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper