[lug] vfat case sensitivity

Louis Viljoen (IDH) louis at idhweb.com
Tue Mar 18 14:31:22 MST 2003

Hi

Did you manage to get the all uppercase directory to display correctly in linux. If you did can you please tell me how.
I need a directory WEB-INF on my vfat partition which linux keeps on changing to web-inf.

Louis Viljoen

>/From man mount under the fat entry
/

       case=lower / case=asis
              Convert  all  files  names  to lower case, or leave
              them.  (Default: case=lower.)

You probably also want to change the trailing 1 1 on your vfat
filesystem to be 1 2.  Otherwise the windows partition is thought of as
a root filesystem.

Hugh

On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 11:39, Michael Deck wrote:
>/ I'm having a problem with case-sensitive file/directory names on RH7.2. I
/>/ have a volume that I mount as vfat because it is shared by the other OS
/>/ co-habitating on this machine. My /etc/fstab is
/>/
/>/    LABEL=/                 /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/>/    LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/>/    /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner    0 0
/>/    none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/>/    none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/>/    /dev/hda6               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/>/    /dev/hda5               /opt                    vfat
/>/ noauto,owner,uid=500,gid=100,posix,nonumtail    1 1
/>/    /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
/>/ noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/>/
/>/ Now, if I mount this volume
/>/
/>/    mount /opt
/>/
/>/ and then try to create a directory
/>/
/>/    mkdir /opt/ABC
/>/
/>/ what I get from ls is
/>/
/>/    /opt/abc
/>/
/>/ But if I
/>/
/>/    mkdir /opt/ABCd
/>/
/>/ then I get
/>/
/>/    /opt/ABCd
/>/
/>/ as expected. I don't already have an ABC or abc directory in /opt.
/>/
/>/ Is there another mount option or something I can do to force RH to preserve
/>/ case even when the directory name is all upper case?
/>/
/>/ -Mike
/