[lug] NTP question

Nick Golder purenrg at hiveportal.net
Thu Mar 20 10:40:03 MST 2003

On 03-03-19 13:50 -0700, the infamous Sean Reifschneider uttered:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 01:47:10AM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:
> >Wouldn't running the hardware clock in UTC take care of this?  It wouldn't
> >have to be updated for DST changes at all then...?
>
> You'd hope so, but that doesn't seem to be the case...  Unless I was
> confused and have only seen it on servers I didn't realize were set up
> with some sort of local clock.  I always set clocks on machines I
> configure to use the UTC hardware clock, and I know I've seen this...

I have /heard/ off issues with APM enabled machines still changing the
the time for DST.  There is a kernel option for this:
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT

<snip from kernel config help>
It is in fact recommended to store GMT in your RTC, because then you
don't have to worry about daylight savings time changes. The only
reason not to use GMT in your RTC is if you also run a broken OS
that doesn't understand GMT.
</snip>

--
-Nick Golder