[lug] WTD: Slot 1 CPU; sound card; more?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Mar 24 09:59:35 MST 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 09:50:04AM -0700, Gary Hodges wrote:
>and including, a PIII 500 Mhz.  The catch is I don't want to pay that
>much.  For some reason these slot 1 CPUs command a premium on ebay
>(Why?).  The 850's go for as much as $175 and I just can't pay anywhere
>near that, plus the fact that I don't think they are worth it.  To help

If they're going for that much on ebay, then obviously they ARE worth
that much, eh?  ;-)  What often happens is that after a product has gone
out of style, the demans drops and the prices go up.  The people buying
them are usually people who already have a box of that type which they
don't want to completely replace, and spending a couple hundred bucks on
a CPU to get some extra life seems like a good deal compared to spending
thousands on a new box.

Or, it's people who have really expensive business servers that a couple
hundred bucks is nothing compared with replacing a tens or hundreds of
thousands of dollars worth of equipment...  For example, you may not
think a Pentium CPU is worth much these days, but to the people running
Sequent machines that have a whole pile of these CPUs in them, they may
gladly pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars for these CPUs if
theirs are failing.

Sean
--
 Reading computer manuals without the hardware is as frustrating as reading
 sex manuals without the software.  -- Arthur C. Clarke