[lug] RHN Basic--Worth the money?

jd lug at taproot.bz
Mon Mar 24 17:12:45 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 13:08, The Matt wrote:
> With the veritable deluge of mail from Red Hat concerning Red Hat 9
> today, I was wondering if any one out there can comment on the value of
> a "Basic" RHN subscription.  Is it worth the $60/year for the "priority"
> access to errata for a person that rides Rawhide as much as I do?
>
> Matt (who's hoping for 2.5.x in RH9)

well, Im hoping for 2.6 ;o)

Either way I dont care. I dont mind paying for updates, I dont mind
paying a small price for Linux. But I dont like being strong armed
into upgrading my box every year just so i can get errata. I have a
few Linux boxes that I break out in a cold sweat when i look at, I
really dont want to jack with thiese boxes much...hate to even reboot
them.
 Its my understanding the RH is going to EOL future releases in 12
months unless you get advanced server... wich i cant afford.

So, in my opinon it is better to bite the bullet and find either a new
updater type thingy on freshmeat or change distros.  So i went
to Debain and now enjoy apt-get.

This really all came to be because of my alpha box.  Here redhat is
lacking. And with no errata for rh7.2 alpha i was forced to look
somewhere else.

HTH,
jd