[lug] RHN Basic--Worth the money?

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Tue Mar 25 15:42:05 MST 2003

Rob Nagler wrote:

>On a side note: I just upgraded samba to 2.2.7a with RHN, and
>basically, it doesn't work.  There's some bug with Emacs and locking.
>Every time Emacs checks to see if the file has changed on disk, Samba
>or XP hangs for 10 seconds.  I mailed the Samba list, but no answer.
>Anybody know how to turn off Emacs so it doesn't check the file every
>few keystrokes.  Autosave seems to work, or rather, turning off
>autosave doesn't change this lousy behavior.  This is one of the
>dangers of RHN.  You assume they've tested their updates.  We don't
>update Apache or Postgres with up2date, because Red Hat doesn't
>compile Apache statically, and Postgres is way out of date.

I have been running Samba 2.2.7a here since its release on SuSE
systems.  I have not seen the problems you are mentioning.  Emacs works
well (I have it open all the time).  You may want to look at your samba
and network configuration.  Some of these problems are evasive.

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid
Architectural Energy Corporation