[lug] Wireless kit?

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Sat Mar 29 17:02:05 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-23 at 12:14, Tony Dyson wrote:
> Now that Comcast cable has reached our neighborhood, I'm considering how
> best to use it. Netgear's "CG814M Wireless Cable Modem Gateway" is on
> their approved list & looks like a reasonable proposition.
>
> Googling for info on the "MA401 802.11b Wireless PC Card" produced mixed
> reports. Anyone got any recommendations for alternatives that work 'out
> of the box' with RH8?
>
> ___

I bought this exact combo and have been a bit disappointed.  The
wireless modem is fine except that you can't set the tcp timeout.  So if
you have the habit of opening a terminal to a remote machine and then
leaving it idle, it will be dead within .5-1 hrs.

I saw that the MA401 was supported, but all I could find was an MA401NA
or something like that.  I have found that under high network load it
has memory lapses (it forgets its essid).  I have had to get in the
habit of leaving a root window open so I can type iwconfig eth1 essid
myessid.

Rather disappointing in my opinion.

YMMV,

Hugh