[lug] Ideas to Improve This List

Nick Golder purenrg at hiveportal.net
Thu Apr 17 11:34:33 MDT 2003

On 03-04-17 11:04 -0600, the infamous Facey, Aaron uttered:
> How about a guideline that suggests subscribers reply to the originator of
> the new topic/ issue instead of replying to the entire mail list. Even
> though many of us filter email, I'd prefer to not receive tons of messages
> on some issue unrelated to Linux that fills up my trash - like politics..
> Forum or mail list?
>
> ***my 2 cents***

I don't know what a good foundation for mailing lists would be because I
have never seen a LUG or a BSD group decide to extend their group into
territories that weren't covered by the reason the group was concepted.
This would be a first for me...

A possible foundation for new lists could be as follows:
blug -> Anything directly related to Linux such as Q/As (such as this
very list).  It would also be nice to leave it open to other things such
as Perl, shell scripting, C/C++ questions... ie. anything that relates
to the use of Open Source/Free Software.

announce -> Make announcements about socials, meetings, installfest and
anything else related directly to the groups activities (I find these
more convenient under something like the blug list though).

executive -> A list to hash out discussions about the groups direction,
issues like this one, and general administrative hoopla.

open -> A "subscribe at your own risk" list that fosters the
communication between the individuals of the community... a way to share
OT discussion with others about anything under the sun including my
feelings on transhumanism.  ;-)

--
-Nick Golder
http://www.hiveportal.net