[lug] AMD Hammer

rise rise at knavery.net
Tue Apr 22 18:18:27 MDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, rise wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, j davis wrote:
>
> >   Since Im doing some upgrading, i was thinking about getting a
> > hammer or opteron for my workstation. Is there be any reason I
> > should wait...besides the fact that there not out just yet :)

> Unless you're absolutely determined to spend upwards of $8,000 I'd
> say look at the top of the line AthlonMPs instead and buy yourself
> an Athlon64 (nice long wait there) or Opteron box when the prices
> come down.

Good news:

    http://www.qsol.com/
- ----
    Q26 2U Dual CPU 6 SCSI 460W Dual Power
    Dual AMD Opteron - K8 Motherboard
    AMD Opteron Server 240 x 2
    512MB 333MHz ECC DDR x 1
    HD 1: 36GB SCSI 10K RPM x 1
    HD 2: 36GB SCSI 10K RPM x 1
    SONY DVD ROM / CDROM
    Sony 3.5 Inch Floppy Drive
    Red Hat Linux 9.0
    2 Year Limited Warranty

    $3,405.00
- ----
    Q10.64as - 1U Internal SCSI 400W
    Dual AMD Opteron - K8 Motherboard
    AMD Opteron Server 240 x 1
    512MB 333MHz ECC DDR x 1
    HD 1: 18GB SCSI 10K RPM x 1
    HD 2: No Item Selected x 1
    PCI 1: Empty PCI Slot
    Slim Line 24X CD-ROM
    Slimline Floppy Drive
    Red Hat Linux 9.0
    2 Year Limited Warranty

    $2,010.00
- ----

Not so good news:

    Very few sites have prices and most are resellers of the Newisys
    boxes - nice hardware but quite pricey.

Bad news:

    If you want a workstation, good luck.  Nobody seems to have
    released them yet.

- --
Jonathan Conway						       rise at knavery.net
You are not to inquire how your trade may be increased, nor how you are to
become a great and powerful people, but how your liberties can be secured;
for liberty ought to be the direct end of your government.    - Patrick Henry