[lug] Postfix Timeout Question..

Joseph McDonald joem at uu.net
Wed Apr 23 02:04:34 MDT 2003

Hi gang,

I've noticed that connections to a mail realy I'm administering
are very quick, but it can take up to 30 seconds for the mail server
banner to appear, which times out some MTA's. So, connecting on the
mail server port:

  telnet vampira.scare.org 25

connects immediately, but the banner won't appear for around 30
seconds. Thus, I end up seeing a lot of these messages in postfix
logs:

Apr 23 03:47:53 otho postfix/smtpd[8420]: lost connection after CONNECT from unknown[xxx.xxx.xxx.xx]

I think it's probably doing an ident check or possibly doing a
reverse DNS lookup on the client which is timing out. The problem
with that theory is that I've tested connections from different
hosts, some with PTR records and some without and it seems to not
have an affect.

I'm also using the RBL lists, but I've commented those out of my
main.cf and refreshed the server but it still takes forever to
hit me with a banner. Any ideas?

	--joey