[lug] apt-get

D. Frye dafr at peakpeak.com
Mon May 5 13:40:39 MDT 2003

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 01:25:17PM -0600, jd wrote:
} Hello,
}   Sometimes when I apt-get update & upgrade my debain 3.0 testing
} box, it will hold packages back. when i see a message like the
} one below...do i need to worry...from a security standpoint?
}
}
} mohadib:~# apt-get upgrade
} Reading Package Lists... Done
} Building Dependency Tree... Done
} The following packages have been kept back
}   cpp e2fsprogs g++ gcc gkrellm-bfm iamerican ibritish ispell libpng2
}   libpng2-dev
} 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10  not
} upgraded.
} mohadib:~#

This is usually an indication that there is a dependency on the packages
that have been help back, or an installed package conflicts with the new
one. If you want to install the packages that have been held back, just
use:

	# apt-get install <pkg-name>

I usually just use one package at a time, so I can keep straight what is
being added in addition to the package that was held back. In your case,
I believe the gcc is significantly changed that they want to ensure you
know that something is very different.

David

--

D. Frye