[lug] RedHat 9?

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Wed May 21 10:41:36 MDT 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 08:59:42AM -0600, Elyse Grasso wrote:
> Does anyone have any feelings for how ugly this transition is likely to
> be? Upgrade at lunch? Upgrade this evening? Wait for the long weekend?
> Run away screaming and reconsider switching to mandrake (since I'm a
> KDE user...)?
>
> I know that RedHat 9 breaks qmail... any other gotchas to watch out for?

Side-stepping your main question a bit...

I've never had a Red Hat upgrade go well enough that I didn't plan a
weekend for it.  Sometimes (notably 5.2 => 6.0, what was I thinking?), it
took even longer.

These days, unless I'm forced at gunpoint, I don't do upgrades.  Instead,
I *try* to be disciplined about documenting changes I make to a system,
including config changes, non-RPM packages, etc.  When it's time to upgrade,
I do a complete OS reinstall, and then re-install/upgrade non-RPM packages.
Although this takes longer than the best case upgrade scenario, it always
takes less time than the worst case upgrade scenario.  I'm willing to work
in that middle-ground, and I find that the wierd possibly-related-to-upgrade
issues are no longer a problem.

If you absolutely have to upgrade, /tmp/install.log is your friend.

-k