[lug] Cannot read CompactFlash cards

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jun 3 10:07:38 MDT 2003

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 06:47:13AM -0600, Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
>Also, when I try to copy the images from the card, I get the following
>error message for several of the images (although some seem to come
>through OK):
>
>        cp: reading `dscn0516.jpg': Input/output error

I've seen that with various cameras and memory devices as well.  My
impression is that the current USB sub-system under Linux isn't that
robust...  There's a project to re-work the USB stuff, I've heard, but I
haven't really followed it.

I've tried several different USB cameras and memory card readers and had
similar results.  I have a script that I run to copy off the data from
the camera, and it does many checks to ensure that the data copied off
is good before deleting the source file.

I've finally just given up on USB and gone to using a PCMCIA card
reader.  My laptop has a built-in CF slot, and I got an adapter that
goes from CF to MMC, which is what my camera uses.  It seems much more
reliable than the USB mechanism.

Sean
--
 Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus. Computers are from hell.
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/