[lug] Re: SSL for Apache 2.0 on Debian

B Giles bldrbear at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 4 14:59:28 MDT 2003

>I would expect that you only really need to do is generate a certificate
and put the appropriate directives in your httpd.conf

Silly earthling, there is no httpd.conf in Apache2!

I set it up with virtual domains on my AWOL colocated server, but I'm
answering this from memory....  As I recall I had to edit each of the files
in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled to listen to port 443 for the assigned IP
address, to enable SSL, and to specify the right set of keys.  It was
something like:

<ifdef ssl>
   Listen 216.38.55.237:443
   SslKeyRsa .... (or whatever...)
</ifdef>

If you only have a single IP address you can use "Listen *:443".  You
definitely want to include the ifdef block so that the server won't chock if
you restart it without SSL turned on.

Speaking of which, be sure to check /etc/init.d/apache2 and
/etc/defaults/apache2 for the startup options.  I think you need to add
-DSSL somewhere, but I'm not sure.

Bear