[lug] Rack for colo coop?

B Giles bldrbear at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 14 17:09:11 MDT 2003

I'm not sure if there's interest in a meeting after the BLUG on the colo
coop idea.. and I'm really not very interested in games.

But in case there's a meeting and I'm not there I wanted to toss out one
colo coop idea - rent a full rack at an existing facility.  That way you get
the good connectivity, environmental controls, access control, etc., but
have more flexibility than dealing with the facility one-on-one.

The upside is that this provides incremental growth.  The downside is that
you can't save much over direct hosting... but that will always be the case
if you need the services available in a colocation facility.  As we've
discussed before, I'm willing to live with reasonable outages (30 minutes,
not 10 days) if it cuts the cost in half.