[lug] WordPerfect for Linux is back --- more or less

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun May 2 20:24:04 MDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 04:15:23PM -0600, Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
>Don't know about other distros, but the OpenOffice Debian package
>starts up lazily--you just get a blank window, then you have to start up

Fedora Core 1 has "pre linking" stuff in it to decrease startup times.
On my 1.2GHz laptop, the first time I start it up takes around 25
seconds, if none of OO is cached.  This seems to be totally
disc-bounded.  The next time I start it, it takes around 3 seconds.

I don't know about similar functionality on Debian, but you should be
able to do it.  It does require rebuilding everything, AFAIK, so maybe
gentoo would be a better starting place.  ;-)

Sean
--
 If you have too many special cases, you are doing it wrong.
                 -- Craig Zerouni