[lug] Did Linus really not write Linux?

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat May 22 15:18:12 MDT 2004

On Saturday 22 May 2004 03:00 pm, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
> HI,
>
> I don't know how many of you have followed the latest M$ funded FUD
> campaign...  A so-called "Thinktank" claims that Linus didn't write Linux.
> The link below contains interesting information about the topic and the
> history of Unix in general, written by Andy Tanenbaum.
>
> http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/brown/

Agenda Filter:  Isn't Andy Tannenbaum the author of Minix (the first
competetion to Linux), and the same guy that had the lengthy Usenet
discussion with Torvalds in the early Nineties about how the Linux kernel was
brain-dead, had no future, would never be ported to anything other than its
original i386, and would never amount to anything, in general?

If it's the same guy, he's an ass that is too full of himself.  He drowns out
his good points out in know-it-all-ness.  He also was a wee bit wrong on his
early assessments of Linux, and the direction of OS design in general.

That doesn't discount his argument, but then again, why bother?

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...