[lug] Did Linus really not write Linux?

Chris Riddoch chris-blug at syntacticsugar.org
Sat May 22 15:43:03 MDT 2004

Timothy Klein <teece at silverklein.net> writes:
> On Saturday 22 May 2004 03:00 pm, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
>> I don't know how many of you have followed the latest M$ funded FUD
>> campaign...  A so-called "Thinktank" claims that Linus didn't write Linux.
>> The link below contains interesting information about the topic and the
>> history of Unix in general, written by Andy Tanenbaum.
>>
>> http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/brown/
>>
> If it's the same guy, he's an ass that is too full of himself.  He
> drowns out his good points out in know-it-all-ness.  He also was a
> wee bit wrong on his early assessments of Linux, and the direction
> of OS design in general.

Well, I'd like to point out that Tannenbaum has posted a followup to
the response he got on this issue on his website as well:

http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/brown/followup/

It's also worth looking at Groklaw's recent stories about it.

http://www.groklaw.net/

If anyone's interested in following the legal fights going on that
involve free software, especially the SCO v. The World cases, it's an
amusing website.  I very much appreciate PJ's ability to take
something that would normally make me very upset and describe it in
such a way that it lightens my emotional responses to an issue.  It's
a very nice mix of humor and facts.

--
epistemological humility
   - Chris Riddoch -