[lug] comcast and multiple IPs

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Jun 8 12:40:20 MDT 2004

> Basically, if you have a firewall that also does NAT, you *are* only
> getting one IP address from them.  There's no real way they can tell
> that you have multiple computers.  It looked like Comcast was offering

I have to wonder if in some cases of NAT the MAC address pops up. MAC's
are how they decide number of computers, because MAC addresses are also
how DHCP identifies it. If you swap out a NIC in your comp, they will
think you have 2 comps, even if you have only 1. If you already have 2
NIC's and swap which one the cable plugs into, the same story, they will
accuse you of having 2 comps. I realize that for normal NAT purposes the
other comp's MAC will not show up, but I have to wonder if this is
always true.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net