[lug] Modem recommendations

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 15:30:37 MST 2005

>> A stray note, perhaps not useful, maybe it is...many motherboards have
>> "wake on lan" (WOL) feature, that is integrated with the built-in LAN.
>> I believe there might be some modems with pins available to jumper to
>> WOL pins, you might check on that...in which case both your modem and
>> your motherboard will matter.
>

> That is very handy -- but since this machine is up all the time handling
> web requests, I don't think this is a concern.. though, that is very
> handy for having a home system accessible in this manner.

I was just thinking that if you need to change runlevels, the WOL is a
nice way to do it. If the machine is down it would reboot it. If the
machine is up, it would just operate normally. My general rule is that
if I do something administrative, it'll be a risk to not be able to
reboot. Linux is far less likely to need reboot than another famous o/s
we know...but still if you do things like kernel upgrades then reboot is
a nice remote feature, and having a modem with that feature on a
motherboard with that feature...it might as well be useful (I suspect
almost every motherboard with a built in NIC has the feature now, and
many non-winmodems do as well). Though I don't think many modems
advertise those features until you open the manual. It's more of an
emergency feature than it is a feature you expect to use routinely.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net