[lug] logging missing 2.6 kernel modules

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Jun 9 20:10:03 MDT 2005

It used to be that on a 2.4 kernel an attempt to use a device that did
not have a proper kernel driver would yield a message, e.g., something
like "no module for net-pf-10"...I forget that particular one was
something like an apple printer protocol. I'm trying to get the sblive
game port to load automatically on a 2.6 kernel and FC2. First thing I
notice is that there are no more log clues when I attempt to use
/dev/input/js0, so I'm not sure if I need to use an alias or something
else, and the man page lacks any examples at all (modprobe.conf). I need
to load in order at every boot (since it isn't smart enough to autoload
the module) joydev, emu10k1-gp, and analog...I want to do this right,
not with some bogus rc.local command. Can someone point me in the
direction to either get logging of missing modules for attempted use of
/dev/, or else a hint on the conf file? I'm really disappointed that I
can't get this, but I'm going a bit nuts without any logs to point at
what the kernel thinks is missing. This used to be so simple.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net