[lug] Samba or other non-Microsoft PDC ON Windows?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Jul 8 10:23:55 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 10:12 -0600, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> On Monday 20 June 2005 04:12 pm, Zan Lynx wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 16:02 -0600, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> > > I'm using KRUD/Fedora (mostly) and Windows XP Pro on a laptop where I need
> > > be able to do demos and admin script development for customers. The
> Windows
> > > version of the product I support tends to get cranky if there isn't a
> Primary
> > > Domain Controller around for it to talk to, which makes setting up a
> > > standalone environment a pain (especially since XP networks have a strange
> > > habit of coming unstuck).
> > >
> > > There isn't a WinXP server option, and I'm not sure my laptop would
> continue
> > > to function properly if it got buried under a MS server installation
> anyway.
> > > Especially when all I want or need is the PDC functionality.
> > >
> > > Has anyone heard of any PDC implementation for Windows other than
> Microsoft's?
> > >

> > Not a Linux solution, but this is really slick: use VMware to set up a
> > entire virtual network on your laptop.  If you have 1 GB or more RAM it
> > works great.  You'll also need some kind of Windows licenses for the
> > virtual machines, I suppose.
> >
> > I've been using Windows 2003 Enterprise on my VMware sessions just
> > 'cause I can (MSDN subscription).  It works great.
> > --
> > Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>
> >
> This sounds interesting. Since I have a legal WinXP license for the laptop,
> and I only really need one Windows instance, I should be ok. With some
> moderate sneakiness I might be able to run Linux ClearCase clients against
> Vobs on the Windows server, too. (I'm running bleedingedge KRUD and ClearCase
> mvfs for the vob server can't runon the 2.6.1x+ kernels yet.)
>
> Which flavor of the Vmware product line do you recommend for this?

VMware 5.

I don't think a single WinXP license will get you what you want.  You
said that you needed a PDC, so you'll need to run a Windows Server in
the VMware.

I was thinking that you could run two VMware sessions: one for the
server and another one for a virtual WinXP that was a member of the
domain on the virtual Windows Server.   That keeps your laptop out of it
and you won't have weird issues with having to change domains all the
time or being a member of a domain that isn't there.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>