[lug] Samba or other non-Microsoft PDC ON Windows?

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Fri Jul 8 11:09:59 MDT 2005

On Friday 08 July 2005 10:23 am, Zan Lynx wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 10:12 -0600, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> > Windows
> > Primary

> > continue
> > anyway.

> > Microsoft's?
> > > >

> > > Not a Linux solution, but this is really slick: use VMware to set up a
> > > entire virtual network on your laptop.  If you have 1 GB or more RAM it
> > > works great.  You'll also need some kind of Windows licenses for the
> > > virtual machines, I suppose.
> > >
> > > I've been using Windows 2003 Enterprise on my VMware sessions just
> > > 'cause I can (MSDN subscription).  It works great.
> > > --
> > > Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>
> > >
> > This sounds interesting. Since I have a legal WinXP license for the
laptop,
> > and I only really need one Windows instance, I should be ok. With some
> > moderate sneakiness I might be able to run Linux ClearCase clients against
> > Vobs on the Windows server, too. (I'm running bleedingedge KRUD and
ClearCase
> > mvfs for the vob server can't runon the 2.6.1x+ kernels yet.)
> >
> > Which flavor of the Vmware product line do you recommend for this?
>
> VMware 5.
>
> I don't think a single WinXP license will get you what you want.  You
> said that you needed a PDC, so you'll need to run a Windows Server in
> the VMware.
>
> I was thinking that you could run two VMware sessions: one for the
> server and another one for a virtual WinXP that was a member of the
> domain on the virtual Windows Server.   That keeps your laptop out of it
> and you won't have weird issues with having to change domains all the
> time or being a member of a domain that isn't there.
> --
> Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>

Is that VMWare Workstation 5? They have half a dozen products listed on their
site.

Regarding the need for Windows licenses: if Windows and Linux can talk to each
other on the laptop, I can set up a Samba PDC on Linux for the Windows
environment to talk to.

I'll probably need to set up a DNS server in Linux too. And google for
interactions between Norton Firewall and the VMWare flavor of networking.

--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com    Computers and Technology
http://www.astraltrading.com   Divination and Science Fiction