[lug] Linux and wireless

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Mon Jan 23 16:04:03 MST 2006

MB> Has anyone claimed ownership of the wireless networking of the
MB> linux kernel?  Last I saw, the owner didn't really want to have
MB> the pleasure.  It seems that folks are avoiding it.

I haven't been paying very close attention, but it is getting some
work done on it.  There's a bit of a pissing match with various groups
trying to install their own 802.11 stack in the kernel -- which means
that someone's going to get their ego hurt, and there'll probably be a
short-term loss in functionality.  But it is being worked on, and in
the long run we'll have a more featureful and stable kernel.

In particular, it sounds like Intel is being pretty good about
releasing drivers and/or docs for the integrated Centrino stuff; I
vaguely recall that the useful source releases are a generation
behind, but it's better than nothing.

t.