[lug] More on slimserver and AJAX

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Jul 5 11:02:49 MDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 01:55 -0600, Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 12:48:25PM -0600, George Sexton wrote:
>
> > Daniel Webb wrote:
>
> > >it's like the whole application is running across the remote connection.
> > >Even things like clicking the top menu buttons lags as if it was
> > >transmitting them across the network and back.  Even if I open a new tab
> > >this behavior happens
> >
> > AJAX=Asynchronous Javascript and XML
> >
> > Yes. A lot of what happens with AJAX is that you activate a control the
> > script sends a request to the server, and then it uses the XML return
> > from the server to create a user interface.
>
> I didn't realize it could hook into things like the File or Tools menu in
> Firefox, though.  That's what I was getting at, because those things were
> lagged too, not just stuff within the web page in question.  I thought
> javascript could only interact with the stuff within the web page.  If it can
> go outside that it could wreak all kinds of havoc!

No, Javascript cannot get into the menus and things.  Except ... it
could be a XUL application.  XML User Interface Layer, I think...  It's
a Mozilla/Firefox thing.

All of Firefox's UI is written in XUL, and Firefox lets developers write
applications in it too.  However, you (the user) have to jump a few
hoops to allow a XUL application to run.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>