[lug] New here, Favorite Distros?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Sep 5 17:13:26 MDT 2006

Antonio wrote:
> Hi everyone My name is prekitt, I just found out about this LUG...
> What distributions are you guys running?

Debian for servers, Gentoo for desktop play, FC (all flavors) for an
"embedded" VoIP project -- all the way back to RH 6.2 on that particular
project.

Solaris 8 and 10 for work -- for the real paycheck.  (GRIN)

Knoppix for rescue CD/security testing, etc.

SmoothWall for a while as the firewall, but found that DD-WRT makes me
happier 'cause it's in the Linksys and no moving parts.

And.. ahem, uh....

Mac OSX for actually getting desktop work done lately...  :-)

(Ducking...)

But truthfully, I'll use anything.

Under the hood, linux is linux.

Learn Linux, BSD, Solaris, and HP-UX, and if you must... AIX (and
pains)... then you know Unix.  :-)

Don't worry about the distros, they're just flavors.

Nate