[lug] 1920 x 1200 video cards

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Sun Dec 10 01:15:04 MST 2006

dio2002 at indra.com wrote:
> i'm thinking about getting a Dell Wide Screen flat panel with 1900 x 1200
> resolution.
>
> my current video card is very old and doesn't support anything near this
> resolution.
>
> is anybody reliably using a high res video card like this on linux in the
> community?  if so which card and did your distro support it or did you
> have to perform some driver "magic"?

I have a Nvidia XFX GeForce 6600GT 256MB DDR3 AGP running two 19" flat
panels on the DVI outputs using the closed source driver in twinview.  I
haven't tried it but the specs say it supports up to 2048x1536 at 85Hz.
Been a great card for under $200 so far (just make sure you get the 256M
version) but I wasn't too impressed with the cooling fan and replaced it
with an aftermarket.

I think most the newer Nvidia cards are well supported as long as you
don't have a philosophical issue with running the proprietary drivers.
-Ken