[lug] RAID installation on Fedora 6 Zod

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat May 12 04:47:25 MDT 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 07:54:41PM -0600, Dan Ferris wrote:
>rebooting.  With Linux the same operation requires either a reinstall or
>a lot of trouble to copy data from one disk to another.

That's not entirely true...  You can make an existing partition RAID by
reducing the file-system size on the partition by some small amount, and
then using the "mdadm" command to create the array on that partition
mirrored with another partition.  I'd recommend creating it with the
partition that doesn't have data on it as initially faulty, then hot-adding
it to the array and letting it build, so that you know which copy is being
written to both drives.  It's not like a re-install or copying to other
drives is the only option...  For the person who initially asked about
doing such a thing though, that's the way I'd recommend they go.

>Also Sun makes hot swapping disks SO much easier than in Linux, but I
>digress.

It's hard to imagine that it's easier than "mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add
/dev/sda1".

Sean
                 -- Napoleon Bonaparte