[lug] Compact Flash reader on FC5

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Jul 26 10:42:57 MDT 2007

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:54:08 -0600 "Michael J. Hammel" wrote:

> Anyone have any tips or pointers to info on how to get a CF reader to
> work under FC5?  Upgrading to FC6 or 7 isn't an option at the moment
> due to time constraints, though it (along with 2345523 other things)
> is on my todo list.  FYI - I'm running a stock FC5 released 2.6.20
> kernel on the laptop.

Hi Michael,

On my laptops, I use a USB CF reader and I mount (as root) the CF card
manually.  I have this entry in /etc/fstab:

  /dev/sdb1   /mnt/usb_drive    vfat   defaults     0 0

and a directory exists with the name:

  /mnt/usb_drive

You may have to try a different device (/dev/sda1 or /dev/sdc1 or...)
and be careful that you don't accidentally mount an unintended device
(e.g., your laptop's SATA hard drive) but it can be made to work this
way.

Hope that helps,
Ed

--