[lug] OT: got a spare dsl modem?

Chris Riddoch riddochc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 19:58:22 MDT 2007

On 10/23/07, Ryan Kirkpatrick <linux at rkirkpat.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Chris Riddoch wrote:
>
> > On the subject, has anybody tried using a dsl modem that isn't listed
> > on Qwest's website?  Presumably, it would work fine so long as it
> > supports pppoa correctly, but I'm curious whether anyone's tried and
> > had good luck with alternatives.
>
> If you are looking for a different option from the external router box
> variety, take a look at Sangoma's S518 ADSL PCI card. I am using this card
> with my Qwest DSL in a Linux firewall, and it works great. It is a bit
> pricey at $130, but well worth it:
>
> http://www.telephonyware.com/telephonyware/tw00161.html?mv_pc=A00015

If I ever get around to setting up my Soekris box[1], something like
that would be exactly what I'd need.  Well, a mini-pci version,
anyway, if such a thing exists.

Unfortunately, this would require a fair amount of work to set up, if
only because running shell commands via dasher or speech recognition
is incredibly tedious.  Especially when anything is sensitive to
timing. Sometimes I wonder why I bother...

[1]  http://www.soekris.com/net4801.htm

--
epistemological humility
  Chris Riddoch