[lug] audio: hardware mix versus software

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri May 16 18:30:21 MDT 2008

I'm thinking of making an audio device under Linux, which would
basically be a mixer for a lot of audio services, e.g., voice chat,
music serving, telephone answering, so on. The particular audio card
which appears to be most capable is also quite expensive, part of the
RME Hammerfall series. The older EMU10K1 is a known reliable, but I
don't really have any information on its hardware mixing abilities. The
EMU10K2 is probably better than the EMU10K1, but I've heard stories of
incomplete drivers (the stories are quite old, I do not have current
information). ALSA provides a nice interface to do things in software,
but I fear that if I'm mixing and routing a significant amount of audio,
quality would eventually suffer. Does anyone here have any
recommendations on what hardware would best work for a large number of
audio channels, with full ability to output to any destination, e.g.,
5.1 or 7.1 surround, headphones, ordinary stereo, and voice between
systems? How important is hardware mixing, versus software mixing?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net