[lug] Re: SATA dual booting

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Jun 29 20:51:43 MDT 2008

There's no reason to take a reply like this off the list.

Norm Metcalf wrote:
> Perhaps I've gone about it wrong but I'm looking for instructions on how
> to dual-boot a SATA machine with two SATA drives.  I have Mepis 7.0
> installed on one drive and I'd like to install Ubuntu 8.08 on the other
> drive.  There's got to be a software solution instead of opening the
> case and switching cables.

Look at the BIOS to see whether it will boot either drive.  Then each
can have its own boot loader and be completely independent.

Otherwise you can update the boot loader (grub probably) on Mepis to
boot the Ubuntu install.

I don't know offhand how grub handles kernel updates.  But I suspect it
isn't that hard to get Mepis to handle new kernels on Ubuntu.  Getting
Ubuntu to do the right thing without messing up Mepis might be harder.

Perhaps you could give each disk its own boot loader that it handles
itself and add an entry to each to boot the other.

Dave

> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>> We've gotten a room from DeVry for installfest.
[...]