[lug] Shared directories and portable environment

gordon.golding@colorado.edu gordongoldin at aim.com
Thu Aug 21 15:15:56 MDT 2008

Long term, we want 2
things:

1) Any "so designated" person can
share the common data directory from any machine, without
complications

2)? A person signing on to any
machine will carry his profile with him, coming into his "normal"
environment.

Right now, I'm dealing with Macs, but we'll be extending to a bunch of Linux machines.

Some time ago on Sun, it was standard to have remote home directories over NFS, so one's environment files were transportable.? Then of course, there were big shared data directories.

Thoughts on the best way to do this??

For example, if NFS is "still the way", any idea how well it works with Mac?

This is the current situation:

I have questions about trying to
make Directory Services on 10.5 talk to 10.4
Server.

?

All machines have the same users.?
But each combination of User X signing on from machine Y gives different
permissions on the shared directory on 10.4 Server.

ALSO, different umask, so any file X
touches may suddenly be unusable by X2,X3,
etc.

?

I think this is caused by the Users
having different UID, GID on each machine.

?

Has anyone ever run into this
before?

Am interested in both a "quickie"
and/or a long term solution.

?
Small complication,? the 10.4 Server
will not be upgraded any time soon - it has too much skitzy code on it to handle
change.

?

Gordon