[lug] fedora / centos rpms

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 14:13:58 MST 2009

> RHEL5/CentOS5 is based on Fedora Core 6.

i totally screwed up the the conversion across the products.  i can definitely see how this would be a disaster.

if you took my original question and substituted fedora 6 where i had stated fedora 10 in error and asked the same questions, would that make more sense?  would i then be able to install a fedora 6 rpm on a centOS 5 system from a compatibility standpoint?

sorry for the confusion.

> For CentOS5/RHEL5 machines you should use EPEL packages:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
>
> These are compiled against the correct version and are
> known to work,

i didn't know this existed.  obviously this would be the best place to pull the rpms from.

but in theory ;-).. could i safely install a fedora *6* rpm on a centOS 5 based install

thanks