[lug] vhs capture - windows

Charles Hutchinson chutchin at geekboi.org
Mon Feb 16 15:02:01 MST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 1:11 PM, karl horlen <horlenkarl at yahoo.com> wrote:

> i've got some old vcr tapes i'd like to finally transfer to digital so i
> can get rid of the tapes.  i have ZERO interest in converting the
> transferred video to DVD.  i just want it on a hard drive in a format that i
> can play with a standard media player like quicktime or windows media
> player.
>
> i called around thinking this would be pretty inexpensive to do but i was
> mistaken.  and most places only transfer to DVD which means i have to do
> another round of uncertain conversion to get it to my HD in a playable
> format after spending the initial money.
>
> can anyone recommend a good capture device, preferably usb, that will allow
> me to plug in a vcr to transfer and convert to a useable playback format
>  that can be stored in my HD? i would like to do this on a windows versus
> linux box.
>
> iirc, i tried this a couple of years ago and gave up because the process
> was bug ridden.  i'm hoping the hardware and software technology today make
> this a relatively simple task.
>
> thanks

I've got a Neuros OSD that you can use to do this if you want to use it.  I
do not use it much myself.  It will encode to several different memory card
formats and I believe to a usb disk.  It was designed from day one for just
this type of duty.

Charlie

--

Mike Ditka  - "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given
us arms."