[lug] LPI 2

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Nov 27 17:05:44 MST 2009

On 11/25/2009 02:52 PM, Nate Duehr wrote:
> many questions about Samba.  Do people REALLY integrate Linux servers
> into Windows Domains that often as servers?  Yuck.  NFS I get, but

We have several clients that make heavy use of Samba.  So, yeah.

About as many as NFS.  Only one uses iSCSI and GFS.

> And... Squid...? Really? Anyone actually run Squid in a production/work

We don't have many users using Squid, the only one I can think of is a
client running a smoothwall system that is a commercial release that uses
Squid on the backend, IIRC.

I prefer to use Apache to Squid for caching, primarily because the config
is much less obtuse.

For example, at home I have my firewall set up to redirect all traffic
headed towards mirrors.tummy.com to instead go to a transparent Apache
caching proxy.  Getting 100mbps or gigabit networking to my house is *NOT*
cheap, but the cache means that I don't have to keep a huge directory tree
synced, but at the same time I often get data for installs or updates via
cache at wire speed.

My biggest concern is for installs.  I'll frequently go months between
installs, and then do several or a dozen PXE installs for testing or
whatnot.

> world of Linux admin.  Bandwidth is cheap.  About all I've ever seen it
> used for is to annoy users to block "inappropriate" websites (instead of
> just firing the moron, easily fixed via policy vs. technology)...

Indeed, that is one of the most frequent cases where we get a request that
would dictate Squid.

Munin should be on pretty much every machine.

Sean