[lug] FC12 installer bug?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Nov 28 13:26:06 MST 2009

stimits at comcast.net wrote:
> I've been trying to install to a quad opteron machine, with 4 hard
> drives (400 GB each, SATA2). I've been experimenting with raid
> options, and cannot get past what is apparently a show-stopper bug.
> From what little I found, this was supposed to be FC12 beta bug...has
> anyone here run into this on the non-beta? 527952 MODIFIED anaconda
> AttributeError: ' NoneType ' object has no attribute 'disk'

Do you have the fixed version of anaconda?

> Perhaps there is a workaround, maybe pre-partitioning in a rescue
> mode?

It seems likely that that would work based on what the bug says.

> Related question on state-of-the-art in FC12: I have not installed a
> system in quite a while, and although it's obvious that /boot can't
> use LVM, can this use RAID1? Journaling filesystems like ext3
> (without special kernel builds)?

/boot can use LVM and as of grub2 it can use grub as well (I'm still
using LILO mostly until I get around to changing).

grub2 is nice.  I rebooted during an upgrade before fixing up all the
boot pieces and it was kind enough to let me boot even though it didn't
know about the new kernel yet.

/boot on ext3 has always been easy (since the loader only has to know
ext2 to load).  RAID1 should also be easy (heck, Windows can do it).
Don't know about ext4 but I'm sure grub2 will support it soon enough.

Dave