[lug] Commuting by bike with a laptop

Charles Hutchinson chutchin at geekboi.org
Mon Jan 11 16:25:29 MST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Ben Burdette <bburdette at comcast.net> wrote:

> I use a backpack that's made to hold a laptop.  Mine's a keen, the exact
> brand and model depends on the size of your laptop and what else you
> intend to carry along with it.
>
> My three basic requirements for a laptop backpack:
>  - waterproof, or at least rain proof.
>  - padded laptop compartment.
>  - big enough for said laptop.
>
> Good luck with the search!
>
> Ben B.

I have to second the backpack recommendation.  I find messenger bags tend to
bother my shoulder after a short while.  They also have a tendency to shift
on my back if I am less careful about loading it.  A good backpack does a
better job of staying put.

Load whatever pack you chose carefully.  Shoes digging into your back for 10
miles is less than pleasant.  Putting flat things closer to your body and
the odd shaped things out helps keep the bag from rolling around on your
back.  Carry as little as possible.  If you can leave a change of clothes at
your destination the day before so you do not have to carry them with you
each trip.  Get as many lights as you can fit on you and your bike.  If you
only have one head/tail light what do you do when your battery dies?  It is
VERY difficult to see under lit cyclists on dark nights.  Watch out for
lingering snow and ice on and especially under bridges.
--
Charlie

Joan Crawford<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/joan_crawford.html>
- "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar. Everything I earn, I
spend."