[lug] auto discard mails from specific users using Evolution

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Tue Jan 19 17:54:42 MST 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 16:48 -0700, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> I'm on a mailing list with some obnoxious users (what a surprise!).  I
> want to block ever seeing emails from these people.  I use Evolution and
> an IMAP mail server.  The emails are not in digest format.
>
> Is there a way to filter their emails out so I never see them?  I tried
> Evolution message filters but they don't seem to get applied.  The
> filter I have set is:
>
> Sender contains <email address>
> then
> Stop Processing
>
> Any ideas?

Evolution message filters is exactly how you are supposed to do this.

Perhaps the new rules you have created are at the bottom of the rule set
and therefore are not being executed because prior rules are activated
to satisfy the handling of the message?  Or, visually:

Rule 1 - All Boulder Linux email -> Boulder Folder
Rule 2 - All Denver Linux email -> Denver Folder
Rule 3 - Any email from user at host.com -> Trash

If user at host.com is posting to the Boulder Linux group, Rule 1 might
catch it, move it to the Boulder folder and the rest of the rules are
skipped.

The solution is re-organizing your rules so that more precise rules are
at the top of the list and more general rules are at the bottom.

Rule 1 - Any email from user at host.com -> Trash
Rule 2 - All Boulder Linux email -> Boulder Folder
Rule 3 - All Denver Linux email -> Denver Folder

The same thinking applies to users of procmail -- Once a rule meets the
requirements of the message the rest of the rules should be skipped.

The other suggestion I would make is to create your rules in the first
place by right-clicking on the message entry in the messages table and
choosing "Create rule from message"  This ability is something I didn't
have when working with procmail and makes avoiding typos easier to
avoid.

--
Maxwell Spangler