[lug] Old Unix, was Re: SGI Onyx 2

Carl Wagner Carl.Wagner at verbalworld.com
Wed Mar 31 22:44:16 MDT 2010

Or you could get UNIX v32, with source, for the VAX and run it under SIMH!
It would probably be similar (as lame as) PC/IX.

My notes about this:
    running unix 32v under Linux using simh
       get simh and build it (for some reason the Ubuntu package did not
install the binaries).

       get the zip file from
http://zazie.tom-yam.or.jp/starunix/starunix.tar.gz
       (He has some sparse instructions for getting it running under SIMH.)

I played with it for a little while, but it did not have vi and I didn't
feel like learning ed.
It does have a compiler (K&R) and a lot of the standard utilities (but
not vi, less, and many of the things I use).
But it boots in less than one second!!

Anyone know were to get an old version of vi that will compile under 32V?

Carl.