[lug] Old Unix, was Re: SGI Onyx 2

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 00:12:26 MDT 2010

Carl,

I think you'd have to get a 32V modded to do paging (the original didn't).
vi's too big otherwise.  Bill Joy developed it on a BSD system, which had
virtual memory.

Ned Irons built quite an interesting, RAND-family, screen editor for PC/IX
by inventing remote procedure calls.  (Before they appeared in BSD -- an
independent, parallel invention.)  It fit in memory, and was extensible,
because it was multiple processes communicating via RPCs.  The development
work was all done in ISC's R&D office, in Estes Park. across the street from
Dieter's Donut Haus.

Academics, trained on BSD & VAXes, would come poke PC/IX (pronounced
"puck-icks," say,"What?  It doesn't have vi?" shake their heads, and walk
away.

But, in case it helps, if you're comfy with "set -o vi" in bash, you won't
have any trouble editing with ex -- they're really the same mindset.   I may
be better with a line editor now than I was when that's all I had. :-)