[lug] Tools to navigate Unix links backwards?

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 15:41:28 MDT 2010

> How many other links point to the same file?

Just a little piece of the puzzle.

For symbolic links, I guess you'll have to use find.
For hard ones, ls -l tells you the answer right away (you might have
to do some math with hard links of directories, but you get the right
number for files).

I am not aware of the tool you are looking for, and I agree that it
would be something nice to have.
As you said, I think I shouldn't be too hard to write it either,
although it can be slow on its first run (and subsequent ones, if not
run frequently enough).
Maybe we should develop it ;-)

Bye,
;Dav